Des Peres’ name seems an unlikely name for a city settled largely by German Immigrants. However the name was attached to the area long before the town of Des Peres was formed in 1934. To the trappers and hunters that traveled the River Des Peres it was known as the watershed Des Peres. When Des Peres incorporated in 1934 they never thought about changing the name. It stayed Des Peres. It is a great place to both live and work.
The public schools serving Des Peres are Parkway School District and Kirkwood School District. Two private schools exist both with religious affiliations. St. Clement of Rome School is run by its adjoining church and parish under the direction of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. Louis. It houses students from pre-kindergarten to eighth grade. St. Paul’s Lutheran School also houses students from pre-kindergarten to eighth grade and is affiliated with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
Des Peres maintains six separate parks: Des Peres Park, Harwood Park, Pioneer Park, Sugar Creek Park, as well as the 13 acre Phantom Forest and the 10 acre Bittersweet Woods conservation areas. Both designated “urban wildlife areas” are administered in cooperation with the Missouri Department of Conservation and run adjacent to Dougherty Lake, one of the original residential developments in Des Peres. The sites and trails for both sites are accessible to the public only via Barrett Station Road entrance. Bittersweet Woods was donated by Des Peres residents Jean and Joan Goodson. Phantom Forest was donated by Des Peres residents Claire and Ray Moore after Ray Moore’s death. It is named after the Phantom comic strip, of which Ray Moore was the co-creator (with Lee Falk) and original illustrator.
The Lodge is an upscale, state of the art community center that includes indoor and outdoor aquatic facilities, fitness center, gymnasium, and meeting rooms.
We are ready to help!
Write a message below
Prefer a call? Call us at 314-313-1779