The City of Glendale was named after a small station between Webster Groves and Kirkwood on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Glendale was a sparsely settled area of elegant country homes and estates around the time of the Civil War. The City of Glendale, a residential suburb, expresses its spirit of neighborliness in a variety of community clubs and activities. Community service is almost taken for granted in Glendale, where a tradition of friendliness has always prevailed.
Two of the main thoroughfares of the City of Glendale are Sappington Road, which runs north and south, dividing the city, and Lockwood Boulevard, which forms the community’s southern boundary line. Sappington Road is one of the county’s oldest roads, originally serving to carry traffic to the tannery established in 1815 by John Sappington on land now part of the South County community bearing the Sappington name. Born in 1790 in Kentucky, John Sappington came to Missouri in 1806 with his father and 16 brothers and sisters. After purchasing farm land, he enlisted for duty in the War of 1812, serving under Col. Nathan Boone, son of the famous Daniel Boone. He returned from the conflict to establish not only the tannery, but a flourishing family of eleven children, many of whose descendants are still residents of this region.
Lockwood Boulevard, main street of Webster Groves, extends westward from the city to form the southern edge of Glendale. This long and important street bears the name of Richard J. Lockwood, whose pre-Civil War home, set in a huge grove of trees at Lockwood and Big Bend Boulevards, was sold in 1922 to the Sisters of Loretto. Now on its spacious grounds stands Nerinx Hall, the nucleus of its central building formed by the old white frame Lockwood house. Lockwood was instrumental in the building of the graceful stone Emmanuel Episcopal Church, which still stands in the triangle formed by the intersection of Lockwood and Big Bend Boulevards, and which will celebrate its hundredth anniversary in a few more years.
The City of Glendale, incorporated in 1916 as an exclusively residential city, has always been known for its gracious homes and its desirable qualities as a family community. Most of the city is restricted to one-family units, and construction and growth have been gradual and planned, with the resultant effect of a general harmony of home styles and landscaping. Many old country homes, some of them dating back to the time just before the Civil War when St. Louisans began to build country homes as summer retreats from the city’s heat, and some dating back to the early pioneer farming days, are still to be seen in Glendale. Oldest of these is the A. W. Schisler home at #9 Hill Drive, which traces back to 1808. A simple log cabin serving as a home for a farm family, the structure was remodeled for the first time in 1836, when an addition was made to its original two rooms. Now this section, its log walls still exposed, forms the dining room of the home which has grown up around it, and provides a link with the historic past of St. Louis County–a time when Missouri, a territory still 13 years away from statehood, was governed by Meriwether Lewis of western expedition fame, and when the first newspaper west of the Mississippi River was just being established by Joseph Charless, a native of Ireland, who had fled to the United States during the 1795 Irish Rebellion. St. Louis and its suburban areas are rich in historic associations, and tradition is much in evidence in the area’s institutions.
The City of Glendale, a residential suburb, expresses its spirit of neighborliness in a variety of community clubs and activities. Within the city limits is the gracious Algonquin Country Club, a social and recreational organization attracting members from many parts of the county. An active garden club provides a stimulus for constant scenic improvement of the city, and noteworthy accomplishments of many kinds are credited to the Glendale Women’s Club, which dates its beginnings back to the city’s early days. Then, meetings of the Women’s Club were held at the fire house, the only public gathering place in town, and providing room for the ladies meant first moving the fire-fighting equipment out of its accustomed place. Ringing of the fire department’s telephone during meetings occasioned consternation not only to the temporarily displaced firemen, but to the ladies, each of whom was afraid it might be her house that was burning. The present-day Women’s Club counts among its projects one unique and extremely worthwhile venture, a community Red Cross blood bank contribution service which entails a 100 percent canvassing of the city for donors, and makes any city resident eligible for receiving blood in an emergency. Community service is almost taken for granted in Glendale, where a tradition of friendliness has always prevailed.
We are ready to help!
Write a message below
Prefer a call? Call us at 314-805-9334