Turn-of-the-century homes and a thriving business community await you in the City of Kirkwood, Missouri. Established in 1853, Kirkwood has long been known for its down-home charm, community pride, nationally recognized schools, vibrant business community, and its involved residents.
The train station of Richardsonian Romanesque style was built in 1893. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it has become a symbol of the town. It is the only station stop that Amtrak makes in the St. Louis metropolitan area outside the central city. Among the four other buildings in Kirkwood listed on the NRHP is a Frank Lloyd Wright house in Ebsworth Park Foundation.
In 1895, the Meramec Highlands resort was built on the bluffs above the Meramec River.
The National Museum of Transportation is a private, 42-acre transportation museum in Kirkwood. Founded in 1944, it restores, preserves, and displays a wide variety of vehicles spanning 15 decades of American history: cars, boats, aircraft, and in particular, locomotives and railroad equipment from around the United States.
The Kirkwood Farmers’ Market was founded in 1976. The outdoor market offers a variety of homegrown vegetables and fruits. More than 300 local businesses contribute to the market.
In addition to serving as a major cultural attraction for the region, The Magic House holds a special place in the history of St. Louis. The original Victorian style house built in 1901 belonged to the George Lane Edwards Family. Edwards was a managing partner in his family’s brokerage firm, A.G. Edwards & Sons, as well as the first president of the St. Louis Stock Exchange and a director of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. The second and third floors of the original Museum currently house exhibits chronicling the lives of the Edwards family to give visitors a historical perspective of the house and an inside look into life in the early twentieth century. The Magic House was founded by two St. Louis women, Jody Newman and Barbie Freund, who volunteered three years of their time to create a cultural institution that would be both educational and fun. When the Museum first opened its doors in October 1979, the facilities were designed to accommodate 30,000 visitors each year, however, during its first year of operations, the Museum welcomed 165,000 guests. Since its inaugural year, The Magic House has undergone several renovations and expansions.
The first expansion took place in 1985, when The Magic House opened a 2,000-square-foot area designed exclusively for children ages 1 to 6 called, “A Little Bit of Magic.” In 1989, an addition was constructed on the front and south side of the house. This included a large wrap-around porch, an expanded lobby and an elevator that allowed the Museum to be accessible to all visitors. In 1997, the Museum underwent a major expansion which added the Children’s Village, Math Path, Fitness Center and an Education Wing. In 2001, The Magic House opened Backyard Magic, an outdoor facility featuring a Victorian Education Pavilion, a Children’s Sculpture Garden and an outdoor Exhibit Patio. Again in 2008, The Magic House underwent a major expansion as it added a 25,000-square-foot addition nearly doubling the size of the Museum. In 2005, “A Little Bit of Magic” was transformed into the hands on STEM exhibit, WonderWorks.
We are ready to help!
Write a message below
Prefer a call? Call us at 314-313-1779