The roots in Shrewsbury are multi-generational with a progressive spirit. Shrewsbury thrives on the cohesiveness of family, friends and businesses working together to provide a community filled with pride. Take the time to visit Shrewsbury. Stroll through the parks, visit the businesses and experience the community. You’ll be glad you did!
Shrewsbury was officially platted in 1889. The land which became Shrewsbury originally belonged to Gregorie Sarpy and Charles Gratiot; by 1890, it was divided into farms and sold to families. The area now known as Shrewsbury was a 278-acre farm owned by General John Murdoch. The Murdoch farm was called Shrewsbury Park, named after a town in England.
In 1913, concerned resident Joseph Burge organized the Shrewsbury Improvement Association to improve Shrewsbury and develop its first sewer system. Shrewsbury was incorporated and became a village in 1913; shortly thereafter a sanitation system was established, reducing water-borne diseases prevalent at the time.
In 1938, the United States government offered financial aid to the city of Shrewsbury, and land was acquired for the construction of a new city hall replacing the 1912 original. The new City Hall building was completed in October 1938. Shrewsbury’s new fire engine house and state-of-the-art equipment were dedicated in 1947; it was during this period that the Shrewsbury Garden Club was formed to maintain the beautiful trees and flowers throughout the city. The early 1950s were marked by the expansion of the public bus routes to connect Shrewsbury to St. Louis. The 1960s and ’70s were times of great community growth, noted by the construction of city parks, a municipal pool, and Interstate 44.
The 1980s and ’90s saw increased development of new homes, condominiums, apartments, shopping areas, and a new and improved City Center, which opened May 8, 1993, to coincide with Shrewsbury’s 80th year of incorporation. With the opening of the City Center, the previous City Hall building was converted to house the police and fire departments, and is now called the Public Safety Building.
The City is the home of Cardinal Glennon College, a pastoral college owned by the St. Louis Archdiocese. Shrewsbury is also home to the Archdiocese’s complete formation program for future priests, including Kenrick School of Theology.
In addition, numerous institutions of higher education located in the St. Louis metropolitan area are easily accessible to City residents, including Webster University.
We are ready to help!
Write a message below
Prefer a call? Call us at 314-805-9334