The Central West End is an affluent neighborhood in St. Louis, Missouri, stretching from Midtown’s western edge to Union Boulevard and bordering on Forest Park with its outstanding array of free cultural institutions. It includes the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis (the New Cathedral) on Lindell Boulevard at Newstead Avenue, which houses the largest collection of mosaics in the world.
The CWE’s commercial district is mainly along Euclid Avenue and stretches from Forest Park Parkway on the south to Delmar Boulevard on the north. Restaurants are primarily clustered in the Euclid/McPherson area, the Euclid/Laclede area and in Maryland Plaza. Unusual, elaborate turn of the 19th to 20th century lamp posts and cobblestone streets add to the atmosphere of this neighborhood, which first grew in popularity with the coming of the 1904 World’s Fair which was held in adjacent Forest Park. Some residential areas of the Central West End are included in the National Register of Historic Places. One example is Fullerton’s Westminster Place, whose large, architect-designed homes, most of which were built in the period 1890–1910, were described in the NRHP nomination as one of the finest turn of the 19th to 20th century streetscapes in the United States. Another is the private place calledWashington Terrace, laid out in 1892.
Many residents of the Central West End are part of the medical community located on Kingshighway near highway 64/40. Washington University’s Medical Center is located at Barnes Jewish Hospital. St. Louis Children’s Hospital is one of the top children’s hospitals in the United States.
We are ready to help!
Write a message below
Prefer a call? Call us at 314-805-9334